With the live video access on the iPhone OS 4.0, Metaio is looking to make a splash with its Glue technology in the Junaio AR browser. They would like to show how the iPhone can do more than GPS AR browsing with both image processing and their indoor LLA marker tracking.
The LLA markers are designed for indoor spaces when GPS becomes unusable. By attaching the latitude, longitude and altitude to a unique pattern, the iPhone can reposition itself without having access to satellites. Since the compass and gyroscope still work, you can point your phone away from the LLA marker and get navigation to the next POI.
This case shows how AR can be superior to map based location using the LLA marker technology. In underground malls when GPS becomes useless, AR can help bridge the gap. I’ve spent considerable time in Japan and often have been lost once I strolled far from my starting location. I would have to go up to the surface to get my barrings occasionally. If they installed LLA markers, it would allow the iPhone to become a useful navigator.
In addition to indoor GPS locations, Metaio has improved AR by adding live optical image processing. By uploading a tracking image to the Junaio servers, anyone can create an optical image that 3D content and information can be attached. To check out the technology, downloadJunaio and view this Glue comic character to see how it works.
This image processing along with a standard browser opens up a wealth of possibilities for Junaio. Now content providers can be more creative with their applications, utilizing visual clues along with GPS and directional ones.
Here are a few ideas that might spur your interest:
1) Using available 3D content on the web, turn your run-of-the-mill picture book into a 3D pop-up with your iPhone. Just upload each page as a marker and attach the image to it.
2) Create an augmented menu based on the logo of your restaurant. Or just have it link to your webpage. Make the world your Internet.
3) Location based treasure hunts using actual pictures of locations to find the next clue.
4) Turn your face into a business card.
5) Turn your logo into a charity event. Every time someone checks your logo using Junaio and it pulls the image or link from your server, give them a chance to donate, or make a small donation on their behalf.
If you have other ideas, feel free to comment!
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lino Pedullà. Lino Pedullà said: RT @thomaskcarpente 5 Things To Do With Junaio Glue and LLA Markers http://bit.ly/bD2OYt […]
[…] 5 Things To Do With Junaio Glue and LLA Markers « The Future Digital Life. By Rich McG, July 8th, 2010 | Category: Augmented […]
[…] 23, 2010 Hey, there´s at least 5 things you can do with junaio and LLA markers. And when you add the “glue” function, with image processing on your iPhone to the […]
[…] 5 Things To Do With Junaio Glue and LLA Markers « The Future … […]