Think you know everything there is to know about augmented reality? Well, prove it and take the augmented reality pop quiz.
If you’re proud of your score, post the results on twitter with the hashtag #arpopquiz or in the comment section if you don’t use Twitter. Thanks to Rouli who helped me with some of the questions. The answers are further down the page, so you’ll have to scroll down to see them. No peaking! And if you quibble with the answer, just give yourself the points because this quiz is on the honor system.
One point per correct answer.
The AR Pop Quiz
1) Who coined the term augmented reality?
2) Name three “reality browsers”?
3) Name four companies in the AR consortium.
4) What three components does AR need to function?
5) Within how many meters is GPS accurate on an iPhone?
6) Who created the ARToolKit?
7) Who’s augmented reality magic trick created tons of buzz?
8 ) What was the first iPhone AR app to be available on the app store with OS3.1?
9) What types of companies have used AR in marketing the most?
10) What is the yearly AR conference?
11) How many years has it been happening under its current name?
12) Where will it be next year?
13) Name a fictional book that used AR?
14) What article of clothing should you wear when making an AR video?
15) Who developed the first AR interface?
16) What well known anime show features AR?
17) Who owns the patent on AR?
18) Which company did the AR consortium write an open letter to?
19) Name three HMD companies?
20) What’s the name of the AR game from Georgia Tech?
The AR Pop Quiz Answers
1) Tom Caudell
2) Wikitude, Layar, Juniao
3) Int13, Metaio, Mobilizy, Neogence Enterprises, Ogmento, SPRX Mobile, Tonchidot, Total Immersion, YDreams, and Zugura.
4) Sensor, overlay and tracker
6) Hirokazu Kato
7) Marco Tempest
8 ) Yelp / Monocle
9) Car companies
12) South Korea
13) Rainbows’ End, Halting State, (see this post for more)
14) Pink Hoodie
16) Denno Coil
17) No one (trick question!)
19) Vuzix, Microvision, Lumus